Hospice Visit Scenarios are Now Available!
MVI has trained hundreds of Clinical Managers and People Development staff using pre-recorded iPod/iPad/MP3 Visit Scenarios when we are teaching how to run an effective clinical lab. Five of these scenarios are now available!
When using Visit Scenarios, you are entering the world of the “outlier” by focusing on the most important strategic direction for any organization… People Development! The use of simulation labs is a practice of the 90th percentile as an organization can teach its proprietary “visit-ology” methods as well as other practices in a safe setting that minimizes reputation-damaging errors and maximizes experiential learning on both an intellectual and an emotional level. Each scenario includes:
- An audio file (MP3, iTunes or other format).
- The script in Microsoft Word format for customization and editing.
Both of the files for each scenario will have similar titles enabling easy identification.
Important Teaching Points:
- The Structure of a Visit is NOT clinical; rather, it is more about the creation of a “feeling” or the experience of the patient/caregiver. This structure provides an overall coherent flavor or branding of your care which in itself provides comfort through predictability. Clinical skills are taught in focused skill lab settings.
- Only 30% of a Visit Structure is prescriptive! The remaining 70% has to do with the professional judgment of the clinician. This is an important statement to repeatedly emphasize with your Students as you do NOT want robotic visits.
- We do NOT use the word “script.” All Master Teachers (Your Students) must learn several ways of saying the same thing to effectively communicate with Caregivers/Patients of various social/economic backgrounds.
- Roleplaying, though effective in various situations, is neither reliable nor efficient when teaching Visit Structures as actors can’t replicate each visit. Nor do they have the energy to act-out 30-60 visit performances at the same intensity level in a day.
- The clinician is to learn the Visit Structure so well that it “liberates” the person’s natural personality!
- Use IRMs. Image Recall Mechanisms are simply “cues” or “triggers” that are strategically positioned in the care environment to prompt a clinician what to do and when with very little effort. This makes learning the Visit Structure, as well as doing work, much easier as less has to be memorized.
- The Visit Structure will improve a clinician’s life as visits become easier to do, leaving nothing to worry about later! When a visit is done, it is DONE! This means that all visits are performed to 100% of the visit Standards and nothing is missed or incomplete!
Using the files:
- Load the audio file(s) onto an iPad, iPod or other MP3 player.
- Edit the Word script if necessary using the names for your visit elements.
- Print the Word script and place it on a clipboard or some non-obstructive stand (like a light-weight sheet music stand).
- Using a stereo speaker set, place the LEFT speaker next to the Caregiver and RIGHT speaker near the Patient (both manikins). All MVI Visit Scenarios use the same LEFT/RIGHT convention.
- Control the visit scenario by simply using the PLAY and STOP/PAUSE button! There is a 1.75 second space between all voice segments. Press STOP or PAUSE to allow the Student (clinician) to respond. Then press PLAY to resume the scenario!
For more information regarding Visit Scenarios, call 828-698-5885 or email us! More videos to help Teachers teach the Visit Structure will be uploaded in the coming months! Is this exciting or what?